Foam roofing for quality defense
Installing a foam roof for a flat roof has become more prevalent in commercial structures over the past few years. Foam roofing consists of elastomeric and Polyurethane foam coating. A high-density insulation material, when Polyurethane and elastomeric are blended, they become a coating becomes a water-resistant membrane that effectively protects a roof from the rain, sun, and water.
This foam roof with the coating is applied to commercial structure roofing in a seamless layer, and to determine if spray foam roof good or bad, and to answer the question, “Are foam roofs any good?” review these benefits:
- Lower Energy Costs: A foam roof offers the superior structure insulation with the suspended aluminum particles reflect UV rays. As a result, less energy is required to keep a building cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Waterproofing: Another benefit of foam roof installation is the unique waterproofing qualities that polyurethane foam offers. Because this closed cell foam is applied in liquid form and creates a single monolithic membrane that doesn’t absorb water, it is the ideal roofing material for regions with high rainfall amounts. The foam roofing material will cover the roof entirely without any joints or seams for water to leak through.
- Flexible: Foam roofing can be applied to new roofs and an existing roof, any roofing style from domed, flat, concrete, metal, or wood, even irregular-shaped roofs. Because it doesn’t require a costly tear-off for a roof replacement, it is a sustainable material.
- Structural integrity: Polyurethane Foam roofing is a flexible material that can withstand the contraction and expansion a structure goes through with temperature changes. Through the harshest weather, the Foam roof will remain sealed, protecting the roof from high winds, rain, intense UV rays, and other natural elements. Foam roofing is fire resistant, the fact that insurance companies love.
- Rain Directed: When professionally installed, a foam roof coating will redirect rainwater towards the downslope into the drains. During installation, a little thickness is added in low areas of the roof, giving a “flat roof” a slight slope that allows rainwater to find the drain and gutters off the roof.
Can spray foam stop leaks?
Yes, because the polyurethane foam used for a foam roof expands, it is one of the best methods to stop roof leaks. As this liquid is sprayed, the Polyurethane and elastomeric blend together, creating an expanding foam that fills cracks. This combination of materials will bond to any surface and can effectively and quickly solve any roof leaks.
Can you walk on a foam roof?
Even though the popularity of elastomeric and Polyurethane spray foam roof materials have gained popularity and use on flat and low slope roofs, there are still those that question it. One concern is the foot traffic many commercial buildings have with contractors. Commercial building owners can relax knowing that a foam roof professionally installed has the approval of the National Roofing Contractors Association, which has proven that it can sustain up to fifty pounds per square inch. A downside of a foam roof and many other roofing materials have the same issue, sharp objects dropped (knives, screwdrivers, etc.) can puncture the foam roof and require repairing. Repairs should be made with proper materials after thoroughly cleaning the surface. Products recommended for repair are an acrylic coating or elastomeric material.
How do you seal a foam roof?
To seal a foam roof, use a solvent-free 100% solid, polyurethane sealant after thoroughly cleaning and allowing the surface to dry completely.
How do you repair a foam roof blister?
If moisture becomes trapped while a foam roof is being installed, it can create blisters in the foam. If the blister is not broken, it is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. If severe ponding is created, the acrylic can lift and separate from the foam roof. When a blister is broken, water seepage happens, getting under the foam roof layer. This flaw can be repaired by cutting out the broken area and re-apply foam. Once the foam as cured, an acrylic coating should be applied.
Care and Maintenance of a Foam Roof
A routine inspection, maintenance, and foam roof cleaning are essential to get the maximum benefit and longevity. When cleaning, make sure to remove all debris, so the drains do not become clog and cause standing water. A routine inspection schedule will allow you to find any punctures that need to be repaired before they create a larger problem with blisters allowing water to penetrate the foam roof membrane.
With a professional installation of your foam roof and proper care and maintenance, your foam roof can provide you years of benefits and lifespan. The savings on energy costs will recoup your investment in a short time, making this an investment worthwhile for your commercial structure. Call 918-280-9661 today!